Become a Management Partner
Interested in global health and big systems change? Up for an entrepreneurial challenge and making things happen from within Ministries of Health? Believe that management and leadership are essential for lasting impact? Eager to apply your private sector experience to social problems?
Join AMP Health for an exciting two years!
- Two-year placements
- We are currently recruiting for a Management Partner in Malawi
- We accept applications on a rolling basis for future country placements. Please see below for details on the position and how to apply.
AMP Health seeks highly capable leaders to join Ministries of Health as Management Partners (MP). Each MP will serve as a problem-solving partner to national and regional leaders on high priority initiatives related to cost-effective interventions such as community health systems and immunizations. Based within the Ministry of Health (MoH), the Management Partner will work closely with heads of the community health or EPI team and will report to a senior official in the MoH as well as to the AMP Health team. Specific MP work will be determined in collaboration with Ministries of Health but could include, for example, program design, strategic planning, financial modeling/investment cases, operations, organizational development, and/or stakeholder management.
AMP Health believes in the power of strong leadership and management for systemic change. Accordingly, the MPs will benefit from personalized best-in-class leadership development training that will help them grow as leaders and effective change-makers within MoHs. MPs and their MoH counterparts will also participate in needs-based trainings and work closely with MPs from other countries and a network of local and global mentors from the public and private sectors. These events will serve as a collaborative platform to promote dialogue and best practices.
This role will require motivation, flexibility, patience, and a business-minded attitude. The right candidates will balance their proven business skills and results-driven approach with creativity, savvy, and humility. Management Partners should have an entrepreneurial spirit as well as a passionate interest in – and commitment to – the strengthening of health systems in low-and-middle-income countries.
It is expected that the desired candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of professional experience required; private sector, management consulting, and/or government experience preferred;
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience living and/or working in Africa;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Experience working under pressure, prioritizing competing deliverables, and being productive while working both independently and as part of a team;
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships in a multi-stakeholder environment with varying levels of authority;
- Advanced skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and sense of humor; and
- Willingness to live and work in a low-or-middle-income country for two years, with in-country travel up to 25% of the time and regional travel occasionally.
- African nationality
- Advanced degree
(1) Submit the short biographical questionnaire located at http://bit.ly/1GER2eF
(2) Submit a cover letter and resume in the same PDF file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please specify:
- any countries of interest or if you are willing to work anywhere
- your preference for community health, EPI, or either